Are you a petite professional? If so, then you understand the challenge we sometimes face to be taken seriously in the workplace. One little fashion faux pas and most of us will easily be mistaken for the college intern or the boss's daughter. This is why it's so important for petite women to show the world that we "mean business." Every day we have to look the part of a polished professional from head to toe! But this doesn't just mean that you have to work overtime to build a professional petites wardrobe (which seems more attainable than ever, by the way, thanks to daily inspirations from fashionistas like Really Petite, Extra Petite, Alterations Needed, Shorty Stories, and 9to5chic. Okay, okay, this last blogger isn't petite at all, but her style is just so darn cute that I had to mention her!) But no matter how much effort you put into your wardrobe, nothing can ruin your look faster than . . . sitting at your desk! After all, it's hard to look like a professional when (gasp!) -- your feet don't even touch the floor! But that's exactly what happens when we sit in office chairs that were not designed with our shorter bodies in mind.
It means that our feet dangle. It means that we can swing our legs while we sit. (Ugh, how "second grade!") It means that we can even sit cross-legged in our chairs. Most of all, it means that our posture and alignment are out of whack while we work.
Sitting in a wrong-sized chair isn't just an aesthetics problem; it's actually a health problem. Think about it. Some of you are spending 8+ hours a day, week after week, year after year in a chair that (a) prevents your feet from resting flat on the ground, (b) has armrests that are too high, (c) has a lumbar support and/or headrest that is not in the right position, and (d) has a seat that is too deep. Perhaps you've also experienced the pain or strain that comes along with such a chair. But did you know that it doesn't have to be this way? There are specially designed chairs for women who are too short for the average office chair. Some chairs are custom-built to your own specific measurements, while others are mass market offerings for any woman 5'4" and under. Not only do these chairs help you look and feel like a real professional, but they can also reduce your risk of headaches, fatigue, and neck, back, or repetitive stress injury. So take a look at these petites-friendly office chairs if you want to look "nothing short of amazing" while you work...
The Good News: As Chelsea Alves of www.sitbetter.com explains, "Petite chairs come fully equipped with a seat depth up to 18", a smaller back size, and have a good amount of ergonomic adjustments to ensure proper comfort, no matter your stature. Petite users will be able to sit ergonomically correct and have adjustments tailored to smaller users . . . ."
The Bad News: These petites chairs are not available at your local furniture store chain. So you'll have to turn to online retailers like the ones below to find the office or drafting chair that was designed with you in mind! (Don't worry though. Most of the places below have a money-back guarantee to ensure your complete satisfaction.)
- Basic, no frills chair
- Looks and feels like leather
- Enthusiastically recommended by a 5'2" petite
- Great for smaller people
- Contoured seat and back, 17" seat, lumbar support, pneumatic height adjustment, and five-star base with dual casters
- See this chair and other regular office chairs at Sitbetter.com
- Eco-friendly, fully customizable ergonomic seating
- Choose your own control, arms, color, etc.
- This chair and many others available at Sitbetter.com
- A smaller scaled chair with proportionate seat and back
- Lifetime warranty on all parts
- This chair and many others available at Jaymil.com
Neutral Posture XSM Series Petite Ergonomic Chair
- Built to fit an exceptionally petite body (3 feet - 5 feet tall) without compromising support and comfort
- Available as a drafting chair with option to add a Nextep
- This chair and many others available at HumanSolution.com
Bodybilt Petite Small Back Chair
- Chair is customproportioned according to your body’s measurements
- Can be adjusted a thousand different ways with unique 10-point posture control system
- Designed specifically for desktop intensive job performers
- This chair and many other Bodybilt products available at Google.com
Also, check out this helpful video from the makers of the QT3 Ortheopaedic Petite Posture Chair for an explanation of how these petite office chairs generally work:
Speak out, ladies!
- Is your office chair a comfortable fit for you?
- If not, would you consider purchasing an office chair designed for petite women?
- How much would you be willing to pay at most for such a chair?